Coconut milk is a must-have pantry item for all vegans. It’s delicious and creamy, more ethically sourced and in my opinion, it tastes much better than cream or milk. This is a way to enjoy raw vegan iced-foods during hot summer months.
Large ripe mango, 2
Pure coconut milk (I like the brand Biona the best), 1 can
Lime, juice and zest, 1
Fresh mint leaves, without stalks, a handful
Raw plain hazelnuts, 300g
10 minutes + at least 1 hour in the freezer
1. First blend the hazelnuts unit the consistency is that of crumbs (a few chunks and irregular pieces is fine), and set aside.
2. Chop the mango and fresh mint leaves into small pieces and add to the blender.
3. Pour in the coconut milk and blend all ingredients until smooth (the consistency is similar to that of a pure).
4. Add 5 tbsp of the ground hazelnuts to the mixture and stir in well.
5. Prepare the recipient (I use those silicone ice-cubes trays in funny shapes) with a few sprinkles of the ground nuts before pouring over the mixture to.
5. Freeze for at least 1 hour before enjoying.
Substitute the mango for another soft tropical fruit, like papaya or mangosteen. Substitute the hazelnuts for macadamia nuts or cashews, they also go very well with creamy, tropical tastes. You could also, instead of making small bites, make ice-pops, ice-pole or ice-lolly if you have another suitable recipient.
Add the nuts to the blending mix for added texture and taste.