Energetically, raw fruits and nuts are a good combination. In terms of acid/alkaline balance, since many fruits are alkaline in nature, and many nuts are acidic in nature, the combination of these two ingredients is balancing. For more information, on acidic-alkaline fruits, click here.
Dried fruits (with the exception of figs) are more acidic in nature than when those fruits are fresh. Soaked nuts, are less acidic in nature than un-soaked nuts.
Eating a fresh fruit and nut salad for breakfast is refreshing and simple, ideal on warm lazy days. In a rush, grabbing a little bag of mixed nuts and dried fruits, is a fast but healthy breakfast option. I’ve finally found a brand that prepares snack food simply and purely, Nakd. Using crushed fruits and nuts and pretty much nothing else, these are an ideal whole food snack. So I thought I’d give making them a try, luckily, this recipe is easy and versatile, just like my Raw Power Balls. That’s the beauty of simple raw foods.
Soaking overnight + 20 minutes
One type of raw nuts, soaked overnight (e.g. almonds), 500g
One type of dried fruit, soaked overnight (e.g. figs), 400g
Something else you like*, to taste
*Perhaps that pinch could be something like cinnamon, dried orange peel, peppermint essential oil, raw cacao nibs, nutmeg or sea salt.
1. Drain and dry off your soaked nuts with kitchen paper.
2. Place all your chosen ingredients in a freezer bag and bash with a rolling pin until the mixture looks like a pulp.
3. Spread the mixture smoothly (with an oiled spatula of sorts) on a lined baking tray and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
4. Slice and enjoy for breakfast with a tea or coffee.
If you’re struggling for inspiration, here are my favourite three combinations:
- dried apricots, dried orange peel, cacao nibs & cashew nuts
- dried sour cherries, dried lemon peel & almonds
- dried figs, peppermint essential oil & walnuts
Add a tablespoon or two of fine oats for a more filling breakfast option.
Add 200ml mineral water, coconut water or oat milk to one fruit and nut bar and then blend until smooth. It will turn these ingredients into a delicious rich smoothie.